Natural gas is a clean, efficient fuel source used in U.S. homes for heating, hot water production and cooking. Fifty percent of American households use natural gas for heating their home. While your home’s natural gas lines and appliances are relatively safe when professionally installed and maintained, it is important to understand that natural gas line leaks can be extremely dangerous. When gas leaks occur, it is important to take the right steps even before gas line repair in Sugar Land can be provided.
You want your family and home to be safe, and that is why you should only trust a professional gas certified plumber with gas line installation or gas line repair in Sugar Land. A gas leak is an emergency with the greatest risk being explosion. The hallmark sign of a natural gas leak is the rotten egg odor. Our licensed, gas certified plumbers’ provide gas line installation, and gas line repair in Sugar Land.
Natural Gas Safety for a Suspected Leak
- Leave the area immediately and get to a safe location before calling 911
- Do not try to locate the source of the leak
- Do not use electrical devices, such as light switches, telephones, or garage door openers. It only takes a tiny spark to ignite natural gas
- Do not use an open flame, matches or lighters and do not smoke
- Do not start automobiles or motorcycles parked in the area
- Do not try to shut off any natural gas valves
- Do not attempt to provide gas line repair in Sugar Land
- Do not turn any appliances on or off
Signs of a Natural Gas Leak
- Rotten egg odor
- Dead, dying or discolored vegetation in an otherwise green area
- Dirt, leaves or dust blowing from a hole in the ground
- Bubbling in wet or flooded areas
- Blowing, rushing or hissing sound
- Flames, if a leak has ignited
Prevent Damaging Pipelines
Leaks can be caused by damage to pipelines, usually while digging. Professional excavators and homeowners should always call the utility provider at least three working days prior to any digging project to request free marking of underground utility lines.
An additional danger of natural gas is carbon monoxide poisoning. Faulty furnaces, hot water heaters or other natural gas-fueled appliance can develop rust scale and holes in the combustion chamber causing dangerous carbon monoxide to leak into the home. When a blockage occurs in ventilation flues, dangerous carbon monoxide can build to fatal levels in the home. Carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms are similar to those of the flu without a fever and include headache, nausea, difficulty breathing, confusion and chest pain to name a few.
Natural gas safety tips
- Use licensed professionals to repair or install gas lines.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home, near bedrooms and at least one on each floor.
- If you detect the odor of rotten eggs get everyone out of the house immediately and contact your gas utility company. Dial 911. If you smell the odor outside the home, leave the area. Go to a neighbor’s home, or a safe distance away to use your cell phone.
- Have a professional provide an annual inspection of the vents, flues, and chimneys of all gas water heaters, furnaces, and fireplaces to ensure proper ventilation of exhaust gases.
- Do not use a gas oven for heat. This can damage the oven and cause carbon monoxide to build up in the home, always use the exhaust vent hood fan when a gas stove operates.
- Never sleep in a room heated by a gas or kerosene space heater that does not have proper ventilation. This includes camp style heaters and cook stoves intended for outdoor use.
Remember to call ahead for any work that requires digging outside, homeowners should call their local utilities and request gas lines are marked before digging begins. If a natural gas line is damaged when digging outside, call the utility immediately. Do not attempt to provide gas line repair in Sugar Land yourself, leave it to a professional.
Call Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® of Rosenberg's professionals today for natural gas line installation or gas line repair in Sugar Land. Our professionals serve Katy, Houston and the surrounding areas. We are a member of the BBB with an A+ rating.