A good bath can be the ultimate in relaxation after a tough day. But sometimes, candles and fancy soaps aren't enough to get the mood just right. Fortunately, when you want to take your bathing experience to the next level, there's a whole array of technologically-advanced bathtubs to enhance your usual soak. Read on for some tips on getting the best bathtub on the block.
Your Basic Massaging Tubs
When it's not enough to just sit in the bath, why not let the water put in some extra work to help you relax? Here are some options:
- Bubble massage bath: Everyone knows that you can make a traditional bubble bath by pouring some dish soap in the tub. A bubble massage bath is a whole different matter. Small jets in the interior of the bathtub actually blow air bubbles out into the water, creating a gentle massage-like experience.
- Whirlpool bathtub: These are for more heavy-duty bubble enthusiasts. In whirlpool baths (also known as hydro massage baths), jets of water get pumped around the tub, creating an experience similar to a hot tub.
- Combination bath: Good news for families that can't decide between bubble massage and whirlpool: you can get a bathtub that gives you both. Mom can enjoy the small bubbles while dad uses the jets, and everyone ends up happy and relaxed.
- Make it an indoor hot tub: Nothing compares to the moment when you first get into a steaming-hot bath, but the water cools down over time. Fortunately, you can now find indoor tubs with built-in heaters to keep the water at your preferred temperature for as long as you want.
Let's Throw in Some Real Technology
Not satisfied with some bubbles and heat? Don't worry, we're just getting started. If you like your bathing time to be truly high-tech, try one of these marvels:
- Chromatherapy tubs: Get a full sensory experience with a chromatherapy bathtub, which uses colored lights to dazzle you while you bathe. These are often used in conjunction with whirlpools to give you a total spa experience right in your own home.
- Integrated televisions: If you love baths but hate missing out on your favorite TV programming, don't skip on a bathroom-safe LCD television mounted above your tub. Now the technology exists to integrate the screen into a wall mirror, so the TV remains unobtrusive and out of sight until you turn it on.
- Sliding faucets: If you hate endlessly fiddling with faucet handles to get the water temperature just right, this is the upgrade for you. Newfangled faucets let you simply slide a bar to get precisely the flow and temperature you want.
- Smart technology: For the ultimate in convenient and personalized bathing, integrate smart technology that you can control with your phone and tablet. Every member of the family can set up their preferences and let the tub automatically take care of the rest. Options include everything from water level and temperature to a voice system to notify you when your bath is ready.
If you are interested in a new bathtub, make sure you have a plumber inspect your fixtures and advise you on what options are appropriate for your bathroom.