Does your garbage disposal need repair?
A garbage disposal is a great convenience, but they require a little extra maintenance to prevent odors, clogs or other plumbing mishaps. Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® can install or repair your garbage disposal and make sure your system runs smoothly.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Foul odors can occur from a buildup of food debris within the disposal. Take these steps to eliminate the odors:
- Grind ice cubes and orange or lemon rinds in the disposal for about 30 seconds
- While the disposal is still running, pour a small amount of liquid dish detergent into it
- Rinse any remaining debris away by running cold water for about 30 seconds
If Your Garbage Disposal Stops Working
In the event your disposal breaks down, check the reset button. The garbage disposal has an overload protector that senses if the motor is overheating and shuts it off. If your disposal cuts off during operation, this may be the cause. Try resetting the disposal to correct the problem:
- Turn the disposal switch off.
- Do not put hands or objects down the disposal opening.
- Make sure the appliance is plugged in securely at the outlet.
- With the power switch turned off, press the reset switch on the front or bottom of the garbage disposal.
- Restart the disposal by turning on the power switch.
Be sure to consult and follow the manufacturer's instructions when resetting your disposal. If resetting doesn't remedy the problem, contact Benjamin Franklin Plumbing for assistance. We can install, repair and help you maintain your garbage disposal for years of use. Give us a call today!
Serving: Adamsville, Alabaster, Bessemer, Birmingham, Cahaba Heights, Calera, Chelsea, Ensley, Fairfield, Forestdale, Fultondale, Gardendale, Graysville, Helena, Homewood, Hoover, Huey Town, Kimberly, Leeds, McCalla, Midfield, Moody, Morris, Mountain Brook, Odenville, Pelham, Pinson, Pleasant Grove, Sterrett, Trussville, Vestavia Hills, Vincent and Warrior, Alabama.
A family of home services:
Strong partnerships and a national support system.
Independently owned and operated.