Earth Day 2014
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the average American family of four can use 400 gallons of water every day, which is considerably more than our foreign friends. People are using water faster than it can be naturally replenished, and in honor of Earth Day, which is celebrated around the world on April 22, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing wants to educate you and the community on how easy it can be to conserve water, help the planet and save money.
We've been serving customers in your area for years and have compiled a list of simple tips you can use not only this month, but all year long.
- Turn the water heater down. Most water heaters are set to 140 degrees when installed, but they should be set at 120 degrees. Double check yours. Turning it down 20 degrees can help save energy and money on your utility bill.
- Be mindful of laundry. Only wash your clothes if you have a full load to do. Also, washing in cold water will help save energy that would have gone to heating the water (and it works just as well!).
- Don’t leave water running. Remember to turn it off while brushing your teeth, shaving, washing your face, washing dishes, etc. Every little bit counts!
- Take shorter showers. If you’re already showering as quickly as possible, consider investing in a high-efficiency showerhead. You’ll be able to enjoy the same water pressure and amount of time in the shower, while saving water and money.
- Don’t use the toilet as a trash can. Every flush wastes gallons of fresh water.
- Consult a plumber. Call a professional for a complete evaluation of your home’s efficiency.
A family of home services:
Strong partnerships and a national support system.
Independently owned and operated.