Your plumbing and drains may get a workout during the big game. Here are some tips to avoid a fumble and keep things running smoothly in your home.
For some the Super Bowl means lots of food and drink, extra people in the house gathered around the big screen and bathroom breaks during timeouts and commercials. All this action can create extra stress and use for your plumbing.
Plumbers with Benjamin Franklin Plumbing® typically get extra calls for service after the big game. Most of the calls involved clogged kitchen drains and plumbing problems in the bathroom. To avoid these issues, plumbers recommend:
- In the kitchen: never put grease, fats, bones or large food scraps down your kitchen drain or disposal. Grease and water don’t mix and it can easily clog your drains. Food scraps and bones can damage your disposal. Use a paper towel to remove grease from your dishes and dispose of everything in the trash instead.
- Run the water from the kitchen sink for a few seconds before and after using your disposal to help flush the line.
- In the bathroom: put out a wastebasket so your guests aren’t tempted to flush things that are not flushable. Encourage guests to use the bathrooms one at a time and during longer breaks in the game, instead of everyone going during halftime. It will help reduce the stress on your plumbing.
- If you notice problems with your toilets or drains after the game, call a licensed plumber. Check references and ask for upfront, StraightForward Pricing so you don’t feel like you’ve been sacked.
- Intercept problems before they start and get a pregame plumbing inspection next year.